Alcohol and substance abuse/addiction is a major threat to the future of Oklahoma, impacting the lives of individuals, families, business organizations and the economy of the state. To solve this problem the public must be educated and then motivated to take action.
1. Addiction & substance abuse is a DISEASE; a DISEASE that can be avoided and for those who have it already, can be treated.
2. Addiction is a DISEASE that often begins in adolescence, it is a DISEASE that can alter the chemistry of the brain, making individuals more susceptible to getting progressively worse.
3. Virtually all Oklahomans have a connection to addiction; either individually or through a family member or friend.
4. Currently, addiction has an unjustified and unfair STIGMA associated with substance abuse. Far too many Oklahomans think addicts are just BAD PEOPLE doing BAD THINGS! Nothing can be further from the truth!
5. Addiction and substance abuse is not being properly taught to our young people. Many young people would never experiment with substances if they knew the truth!
6. For those who are already afflicted with the DISEASE, there is ample evidence of HOPE. Addiction is a treatable DISEASE!